In our increasingly competitive world, very rarely does and individual professional service provider, coach, or consultant truly have a significant advantage over others. The ability to create trust is often the single biggest factor that differentiates these close competitors to secure a client assignment.
The Trust-O-Meter assessment below that has been adapted from the book The Trusted Advisor will provide some insight into your ability to create trusting relationships and provide areas of development to gain mastery into this important business and personal skill.
Rate yourself on a scale of 1=low to 4=high as you evaluate the following statements.
- I am consistent and highly dependable.
- Serving my clients is my highest priority and I place a lower focus on my self-interest.
- I am genuine and my clients feel comfortable around me.
- I am more focused on being interested versus interesting.
- I seek to understand and then be understood .(S. Covey)
- I am an active reflective listener.
- I am honorable and keep conversations confidential. I avoid gossiping.
- I have a good sense of humor and am fun to work with.
- My clients often share personal information with me.
- My clients feel safe in discussing difficult issues.
- I genuinely care about my clients and it shows.
- I see my clients as people, not just a person fulfilling a role.
- I seek out opportunities for client contact to provide value added service.
- I often gain repeat business and referrals from my current and past clients.
- I am willing to generously share my skills and knowledge and take the time earn the trust of others.
- I am clear about my values and express them openly as a basis for creating trusting relationships.
- I do what I say I will do. My actions match my words.
- I exhibit a high degree of emotional intelligence and have been told I have strong interpersonal skills.
- I am naturally curious and ask appropriate questions to learn how I can best help my clients.
- I am a win-win person and strive to build consensus with others.
- I consider myself thoughtful, considerate, sensitive to people’s feelings, and supportive.
- I frequently show my sincere appreciation for others.
- I believe that focusing on giving others what they want is the source of my own success.
- I stay the course even when the going gets tough.
- I am fully focused on my client’s agenda without distraction.
The maximum score you can achieve is 100. Consider comparing your answers with a TRUSTED colleague or friend. I hope you enjoy the conversation and will share your insights and thoughts by contacting me at email@example.com.