To say that we are living in a stressful time to many is an understatement, yet not all stress is bad for us. In the next series of blog posts I will be sharing some perspectives and strategies to use Eustress (a positive life forwarding kind of stress) with Distress (a negative life diminishing form of stress).
Throughout our Stress Management blog series we will also be providing ideas and suggestions for your consideration as you navigate your world.
See if any of the following characteristics and symptoms applies to you and your life:
Eustress is one of the helpful types of stress and is the type of stress you experience right before you have the need to exert physical force. Eustress prepares the muscles, heart, and mind for the strength needed for whatever is about to occur. A few examples of Eustress are:
- Receiving a promotion at work
- Starting a new job
- Having a child
- Purchasing a home
Distress is one of the negative types of stress that the mind and body undergoes when the normal routine is constantly adjusted and altered. The mind is not comfortable with this routine, and craves the familiarity of a common routine. A few examples of Distress are:
- The death of a spouse
- Filing for divorce
- Losing contact with loved ones
- Injury or illness
- Money Problems
- Legal Problems
- Walk it off – physical exercise is a great way to reduce Distress.
- Talk it out – having a support network to listen to and sound out the stressful events in your life is a great way to reduce Distress.
- Let it go – is sometimes easier said than done, but helps to relieve yourself of Distress.
I welcome you to contact me more information about how stress relates to your professional lifeat 248-740-3231 or visit my website at www.dempcoaching.com.